Sunday, February 12, 2012

To CSA or Not To CSA--That is the Question

My seeds finally came in!  I order organic heirloom seeds for the garden each year, and have had various levels of success.  I find that I do best when I direct seed outdoors.  When I try to start inside and transfer out I always kill all my plants.  I guess I don't harden them off properly or something, but I'm not sure.    The seeds took a long time this year because of a system glitch that left my order stuck in "processing".  A quick email to Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds fixed the problem, and my seeds were here a couple of days later.

I subscribed to Mother Earth News for their garden planner, and have my layout all done.  It is 25' x 40' with a collection of raised beds and seasonal rotation.  It is ambitious.  Sometimes I get overly ambitious on my garden---I am hoping my ambition level is just right, and not too high.  This Garden Planner software is wonderful.  It reviews what I am planting, and emails me two weeks before planting time for each plant, so I can plan ahead and get things done on time.  In a week or so we will start tilling and hauling up composted manure (thank you horses!) to get the beds ready for planting.

Here is a link to my actual garden plan: Sariah's Garden Plan

So, that leads me to the big question. I plan on doing canning and dehydrating this year.  I do think it is smart to have a reasonable food storage.  It's way cheaper to eat organic all the time if you plan ahead for it.  So, do I join a CSA or not?  I haven't in years past, and by mid-Summer have always wished I had.  Of course, I've had a couple of years of unsuccessful gardening, too.   Hendersonville Produce is taking signups now, and if I sign up before the 20th it will save $25 for the year.  Lots to think about, and lots to do.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment