Saturday, March 5, 2011

Name That Sink

I need to choose a sink. I always prefer farmhouse sinks, so will stick with that, but there are many options in farmhouse. I've done most of these styles, but welcome commentary on what you like best:



Stainless--simple, streamlined, but prone to water spots. It must be polished regularly to not be speckled, and doesn't have the wow factor.












.............







Fireclay: Very classic, country kitchen look. Simple to keep clean, but if you drop a pot, and accidentally chip it, it's damaged for life.











......................






Copper: Brings in some of the wow factor, and not too expensive, since I know how to order them direct from China. However, they must be waxed every 3-4 weeks or the finish wears, tarnishes, and patinas. Regular sealing also needed to keep a shiny copper sink instead of a green patina sink












......................






Travertine: The ruler of the wow factor sinks. These beauties are HEAVY, expensive and are special order only with about a 12 week lead time. However, they are probably worth all the trouble they can be. Maintenance wise-clean them with stone cleaner and sealer once a week, and you'll never had an issue.










.....................







Onyx: I have never had an Onyx sink, so I can't discuss the maintenance requirements. The color variations are wide, so if I order this, I won't know what I get till it shows up. That's about the only main drawback. I can also only get it in a single bowl, instead of double bowl. It is in stock, would ship, quick.
















..................................





So....which would you choose?

4 comments:

  1. I read more on the maintenance on Onyx. High maintenance doesn't even begin to describe it. As beautiful as it is, it won't work. I would have a beautiful sink to look at, and run water in, but could never put a dirty dish in it for fear it would stain, pit, or etch. Right now, Travertine is in the lead. It's what I have right now, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen both copper and travertine in each of your previously remodeled kitchens, I'd totally go with one of those. (Personally, I loved the copper one in White's Creek.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND THE WINNER IS.......


    Copper! I've decided to go back to a copper farmhouse sink, and to complement it will do a copper range hood. I'll just deal with waxing the sink monthly. It only takes 5 minutes, it's not that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the Onyx was hideous personally. Glad you didn't choose it.

    ReplyDelete