Monday, March 14, 2011

It's Planting Time!

I have to take Thursday off from Yoga, and get home as quick as possible because it is St. Patrick's day, and as all old farmers will tell you; especially if they are Irish farmers, if you want a good potato crop, you must plant your potatoes no later than, but ideally on, St. Patrick's Day. (Yes, I know that was a brutal run-on sentence).

So, I made a quick planting plan, and Joel is making sure my uber-gorgeous vintage Troy Bilt Horse Tiller will be working. We've marked off a 20ft x 35ft planting bed with easy drainage from the pond for irrigation, and Thursday I will till.

This may be a family affair, as I have offered Benjamin a few rows to borrow in the garden, since his snooty sub likely restricts the growing of vegetables, and all other normal and natural things that they consider heinous (like backyard chickens).

Here is the very quick draft of my planting plan, though it will grow and develop as Spring progresses. I also need to reference the wonderful book "Carrots Love Tomatoes" to make sure that these veggies get along well together, and will help each other grow. These are the veggies that I eat the most, though I realize, even as I write this, that I forgot cucumbers, carrots, and leafy greens. As always, I'll use only non-gmo heirlooms, and will grow organically.

No comments:

Post a Comment