Friday, April 27, 2012

Gains and Losses

It has been a whirlwind couple of weeks which has slowed the blog posts.  For those that follow my Facebook you will see that I have been vocal about some pending legislation in the state.  H.B.3619 would have legalized horse slaughter in TN. The thought mortifies me.  When I found that the rescue that I was involved in would not take a position statement on the legislation, and in fact some members were in favor of slaughter, I resigned from all involvement in the rescue.  This weekend will be my last in assisting.  I will sidebar that there were additional issues for my departure---individuals in the organization were extremely rude to others in the animal welfare movement in our area, and I firmly believe that in these types of matters we all have to work together....the adage of divided we fall could not be more true.  My departure spurred the departure of others, and one member preceeded me. 

This leads to an exciting gain---we are forming a new rescue.  Middle Tennessee Horse Rescue will be formed by our little group of like-minded, hard working people, and we will be taking a firm and direct stance on animal welfare issues---slaughter, soring, Premarin and the other issues in Equine well-being.  We are very excited to be starting the new organization from the ground up.  We are, of course, seeking volunteers, so if you read this and want to be involved, just let me know.

We did however, have a big loss this week.  Jewel, our adopted mare, was pregnant at her time of seizure in October.  She was due to deliver at the end of July, but miscarried Wednesday night.  The foal was stillborn.  Jewel seems to be fine.  We are still sad for the loss of the baby who we were making final preparations for.  Just this week we had designed her foaling stall and paddock and purchased rubber mats to make it as comfortable as possible.  As I write this, I am very sad for Jewel's loss, and the loss of the first foal that we would have had.

In the midst of everything at home and in the periphery, work has been rigorous.  I have been extremely busy with the Philippines project and am almost wrapped up on it.  I have a meeting in an hour to discuss my next chapter here, and have been told that I will be asked to take a bigger role.  Yeah!  I love when hard work pays off. 

I am hoping for a happy weekend, and even though it will be busy, I am looking for some emotional calming.  With so much on my plate, I have been losing sleep at night and not able to let my brain quiet down.

No comments:

Post a Comment